By Gerard Loughlin
- Discusses quite a few movies, together with the Alien quartet, Christopher Nolan’s souvenir, Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: an area Odyssey and A Clockwork Orange, Nicolas Roeg’s the fellow Who Fell to Earth and Derek Jarman’s The Garden.
- Draws on quite a lot of authors, either historic and sleek, spiritual and secular, from Plato to Levinas, from Karl Barth and Hans Urs von Balthasar to André Bazin and Leo Bersani.
- Uses cinema to contemplate the church as an ecclesiacinema, and flicks to consider sexual hope as erotic dispossession, as a fashion into the lifetime of God.
- Written from a considerably orthodox Christian point of view, right away either Catholic and critical.
Read Online or Download Alien Sex: The Body and Desire in Cinema and Theology (Challenges in Contemporary Theology) PDF
Best film & video art books
This examine examines how a selected collection of movies became American cultural fabric of the Nineteen Nineties into satirical reviews for audience and unearths that there are components of resistance to norms and conventions in politics, to mainstream information channels and Hollywood, and to respectable American background already embedded within the tradition.
Editors Marsha Kinder and Tara McPherson current an authoritative number of essays at the carrying on with debates over medium specificity and the politics of the electronic arts. evaluating the time period "transmedia" with "transnational," they convey that the circulate past particular media or countries doesn't invalidate these entities yet makes us glance extra heavily on the cultural specificity of every blend.
Elevated experimentation through filmmakers corresponding to Michael Moore and Morgan Spurlock signifies that the partitions among artwork and documentary are collapsing, producing cutting edge rules and attracting a wholly new audience. Truth or Dare is the cutting edge manufactured from a Whitechapel Gallery convention, bringing jointly popular artists, filmmakers, writers and curators.
In Rewrite guy, Alison Macor tells an engrossing tale concerning the demanding situations confronted through a best screenwriter on the crossroads of combined and conflicting agendas in Hollywood. even if writing love scenes for Tom Cruise at the set of most sensible Gun, operating traces with Michael Keaton on Beetlejuice, or crafting Nietzschean discussion for Jack Nicholson on Batman, Warren Skaaren collaborated with lots of New Hollywood's strongest stars, manufacturers, and administrators.
- Woody on Rye: Jewishness in the Films and Plays of Woody Allen (Brandeis Series in American Jewish History, Culture, and Life)
- Columbia Pictures Movie Series, 1926–1955: The Harry Cohn Years
- Master Shots Vol 3
- Urban Film and Everyday Practice: Bridging Divisions in Johannesburg (Screening Spaces)
- Cinematic Overtures: How to Read Opening Scenes (Leonard Hastings Schoff Lectures)
- Anime: A Critical Introduction (Film Genres)
Additional info for Alien Sex: The Body and Desire in Cinema and Theology (Challenges in Contemporary Theology)
Alien Sex: The Body and Desire in Cinema and Theology (Challenges in Contemporary Theology) by Gerard Loughlin